What We Do Here:

This Blog is about Poetry, and its purpose is to forward poetry in the world with connections to any and all poets I can find. This blog works in conjunction with me other blog.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Examples of How to Start without writing the exact same phrase.

How to Wake up Abruptly without writing, I wake abruptly. Use the Senses.

Examples:

Start with a Sense:

The first is sound:
“Wake up Dallas Texas!” screams the announcer straight into my ear, and I flail for a moment, grab the radio and throw it against the wall.

Sensation:
A warm feeling covers my face and when I open my eyes, Shadow is full on coating my face with her tongue. “Get off me Cat!”

Sight:
When the darkness goes away, I find myself face down in a bowl of potato chips, and the pressure building in my groin is telling me to go to the bathroom—now.

Sight:
At first the air is still, and then, the blurry vision of my father’s stuffed deer on the wall becomes crystal clear as my eyes adjust.

Taste:
For a moment I am calm then the sour, rancid dryness enters my mouth. Moving my head up, I notice that my pillow is covered in drool, and I move backwards from it quickly.

Smell, then Sound then Sound:
When I open my eyes the heavy scent of cheese and eggs enters from downstairs. A crackling noise of grease spitting off a frying pan crackles from downstairs and my Mom’s shrill voice cuts through the house like a battering ram. “Garret! Get your ass up!”

Touch:
A sharp and distinct pain enters my neck, and I cough as I open my eyes. A six inch cockroach about the size of my thumb scuttles across the floor straight at my mouth! “Jesus!” I yell and pull myself up before smashing my head against the bottom of the coffee table. “Dammit!” I scream and quickly press my right hand to my head

No comments:

Post a Comment