What We Do Here:

This Blog is about Poetry, and its purpose is to forward poetry in the world with connections to any and all poets I can find. This blog works in conjunction with me other blog.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

In the Tea House

Fig 5.  "Fuji-View Tea House on the Takiado at Yoshida."  1830

So many times, I've watched it from afar,
It's snow crowned peak-expanding base.
Its view is undiminished in the face
of tender gieshas, elders, or the poor.
I curse the distance I've been forced to stay
so far from it in rooms of common clay.

I am the toast of all I draw or do--
a well-trained monkey that performs and plays.
They know my name, but not each place I stay,
each name I take, each debt that I accrue,
sends me much farther from my place of birth,
and even now I wonder at my worth.

I've trained my hands to trace in shadowed lines,
and all the textures reach from what I see.
There's nothing I can't sketch or bring to be.
My brush obeys each hand. And what I find
in everything I draw is but the start
of what will someday be my greater art.

I have no place here in this house of tea.
These geisha talk of fashion and of gold.
The travelers in the corner are too old.
The poor cook is the only one I see.
He knows his place and does not question life,
lulled by the rhythmic chopping of his knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment